Imagine if you could have every weekend, or every other weekend, be a three-day weekend! Alternative work schedules (also called flex schedules) are compressed work weeks that allow an employee to work longer hours in fewer days. You could work four 10-hour days each week with one day off, or work 80 hours in 9 days with an extra day off every other week.
An alternative work schedule reduces trips because it eliminates a day that you would otherwise have to go into the office. Employee surveys have found that alternative schedules are a great employee benefit and can help employers retain valuable employees.
- Allows flexibility to shift to, or continue using an alternative commute mode.
- Allows “off peak” (non-rush hour) commute times.
- Decreases time spent commuting.
- Enables more control over work schedules.
- Extends hours of customer service and production.